For the last few weeks, I have been enjoying reading the great tips found on “Works for Me Wednesday” at Rocks in My Dryer, and decided this week to take the plunge and add my own.
My 13 month old son is learning to feed himself. I know that this is good for him and encourages independence. He even attempts to use the spoon or fork at least half of the time, much to my heart’s delight. However, no matter how “well” he eats, at the end of a meal, his face, hands, and neck still seem to be covered with food. He hates it when I scrub it off, and it seems like no matter how much I scrub, we will inevitably head out the door to run an errand or go to church or a friend’s house, and when we get there, I discover that more food has dried on his face, hidden in some unrealized precipice or somehow otherwise missed by my clean-up. Inevitably, I will get out the wet-wipes and begin to clean his face again, much to his dismay. By his reaction, you might think I was torturing him (I guess he thinks I am!) which can be rather embarrassing out in public.
Then a few days ago I read this tip in Feed Me, I’m Yours! by Vicki Lansky (a book which I highly recommend!): Before giving your baby or toddler his food to feed himself, rub a little Vaseline (I use Petroleum Jelly) or baby oil on his face. (I rub a little on his hands and neck too.) Then when you go to clean him up, the food will not stick, but rather will wipe off quite easily.
I have tried this a few times, and it works wonderfully! I feared that the Petroleum Jelly would make his skin appear oily or greasy, but it hasn’t. I now keep a small jar on the counter for mealtimes, especially when they are to be followed by going somewhere. When I use this, cleanup has become much less of a battle. Sometimes I combine wiping his face with a game of peek-a-boo or tickling or even just funny noises, and since I can wipe and not have to scrub so much, he can get clean even amid fun and laughter. That definitely works for me!
Check out Shannon’s blog for more great helpful household hints.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That is great! Nothing worse than trying to get off the dried on food. Thanks for sharing!
Great idea. I have a 9 month old so I may just have to try this. Thanks!
Great tip! We are in this stage over at our house too and this will come in handy. Particularly before going to get pictures done or on Sunday morning before church. Thank you!
oohhhh.
I'm gonna give this one a try, I have twins and am always cleaning faces..
Thanks
I'm keeping this one in mind for when I have my next little one learning to ropes.
Post a Comment