Thursday, August 10, 2006

Babytalk nursing cover

Babytalk magazine recently featured a cover photo of a baby nursing. I read that within the first week of publication, they received more letters to the editor regarding this cover than they had ever received on any other topic. I added my e-mail to the deluge today. Here is what I said:

Dear Babytalk:

Thank you for being willing to take on a rather controversial matter by publishing a breastfeeding photo on your magazine’s most recent cover. I believe that in America, we have grown to view breasts as a purely sexual body part. This is why as a society, we find it acceptable to have photos larger than life in malls and other prominent places of women in shear bras with the nipples simply airbrushed out. However, when a woman is seen using her breasts to nourish her child, it is frequently viewed as gross. This is because if breasts are purely sexual, they should be hidden away from children and only used for the shortest amount of time necessary to give the baby the essential good start. On the other extreme are those who believe breasts have no sexual appeal when used to feed a baby or child, and that breastfeeding is the sole reason for this body part. The truth, I believe is that breasts serve both purposes equally. Only when we as a society accept the fact that breasts are both sexual and nutritive, will we see larger numbers of women giving their babies the best possible start in life by nursing them. Then more mothers will feel enabled to breastfeed their babies for at least two years as the World Health Organization recommends, or for a year or more as the AAP recommends. The only way I believe we can change society’s mindset is to begin discussion on this issue as your magazine has done. Thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.