Monday, August 28, 2006

Savor each moment

Yesterday our church had a wonderful, exciting business service followed by a fellowship dinner. (Yes, a church business service can be wonderful & exciting.) At dinner a friend offered to hold my son & feed him dinner while I ate. My son was fine as long as he was sitting right next to me, but when I tried sitting at the other end of the table, he got upset. He is at that age where he wants to be close to Mommy. I thank God for that time, because I know it won’t be long until he is scurrying off, and I will be the one who is left whimpering slightly, excited that he is gaining independence, yet not ready for him to do so just yet. Actually there are already times like that. So last night, my friend came over and sat by me, holding my son while we both ate contentedly.

Today the neighborhood kids started school. My neighbor’s children just cut through our yard, scooting down our hill and running to their mother’s outstretched arms as she gleefully welcomed them home. I’m not sure, but I think this may be the first year that the little girl started school. Tomorrow one of my nephews begins that same adventure of kindergarten. I can hardly believe the time is here already. Another of my nephews is the age of the students I used to teach. Somehow the students all seemed so grown up when I was teaching them, yet I can’t believe that my own nephews are already that old. Again, I am reminded to savor each moment.

With those thoughts in mind, I connected to the internet thinking I would have to blog today since I haven’t in a few days, but trying to think of something funny or not quite so sentimental. I clicked on my friend Amelia’s blog and was reminded that sentimentality and enjoying each day are good things. You see, my dear friend shared some scary news. She then stated, “We’ve seen the depth of events that otherwise were daily routines. It’s that much sweeter. I don’t ever want to waste another moment.” I too don’t want to waste another moment. I want to live each moment to the fullest, enjoying my family and friends, showing them my love, getting to know my Savior better, and sharing the knowledge of Him with others.

After reading Amelia’s blog, I left her an encouraging comment, then called my husband so that we could pray together for her and her husband. Now I’m going to get my son up from his nap and give him an extra hug and kiss. I would encourage you to check out Point of Contact, say a prayer for their family, then enjoy yours to the fullest. Let’s not waste a moment today.

1 comment:

Casey said...

I just posted on savoring a few days ago. I am not so good at. Good reminder though! :)