Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Ch, ch, ch, changes!

On Bug-a-Boo’s first birthday, hubby came home from work and announced that in four days he would be going on a work trip to Puerto Rico for two weeks. Would we like to come? He would have a great beach-front hotel room. Now this may sound like a no-brainer. Bug-a-Boo had never been to the beach, and I had been wanting to get to one. It was also an answer to prayer as our finances were a bit tight this month, and this would fill in the gaps. But in four days? Also I had a couple big events planned during that time that I would have to change. I made some phone calls to feel out what the ramifications would be if we went. It turned out that it looked like it would be okay to change my plans. Then I thought, “We’ll never be able to afford a last-minute plane ticket for the baby & I,” but a friend called to offer us a buddy-pass at a very good rate. Everything was falling into place. While it made for a rather busy four days (I was also teaching VBS during those four days), we decided to go. We had a wonderful trip. One thing I have learned is that things in life can change quickly. I try to take to heart the verses in James 4:13 – 15 which say, “Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."

Sometimes it’s hard to hold my plans in an open hand, willing for God change them if he chooses. Even if they’re not something big, I want to know that I am in control and that things will always go the way I plan. The truth is, I am not the one in control. God is. He knows what is best, and I need to be open to change my plans when he makes it clear that his plans are otherwise. That’s why James says to say, “If it is the Lord’s will.” Praise God that he always knows what is best for me, even when I don’t. This time I guess he wanted me to take a nice vacation to Puerto Rico.

While there, it seemed that everywhere I turned, God was teaching me some new lesson. That’s when I decided to start a blog to share these lessons I am learning. I wasn’t sure how I would find the time to do it though. Well, God had that one covered too. Yesterday I was changing Bug-a-Boo when I discovered three bright red spots on his back. I called the doctor’s office and they confirmed my suspicions. These are a reaction to his recent chicken-pox shot which occurs to 5% of people who get the shot. He is now contagious for chicken pox until these spots crust over. All of a sudden, we couldn’t go to the pool, story-time at the library, or on our play-date with a younger baby. While I am bummed about missing these things, I am glad that he shouldn’t have a full-blown case of chicken pox later. It will also give me a chance in the next few days to write about many of these lessons I have been learning lately. Enjoy and keep on living, laughing, and learning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness you found those spots on his back!

Bug-a-boo? I like it :)