Friday, August 04, 2006

A room with a view

More reflections on our recent trip to Puerto Rico - We got to our hotel and had a wonderful room on the 16th floor with a balcony overlooking both the ocean and the airport. Bug-a-Boo crawled straight to the glass door to the balcony and pulled himself up to stand and look out. During our vacation, we all enjoyed sitting on the balcony and enjoying the view. One of the first afternoons that we were there, we went for a walk. As we were returning to the hotel we passed a tall wall with a sign about properties available behind it. From the ground these properties looked a little worn down and not real nice. When we returned to the room, I was again enjoying the view from the balcony and noticed some really nice-looking townhouses right near our hotel. “Hmm. I wonder where those are and why we didn’t see them when we were down below,” I thought. Suddenly it hit me – those nice looking townhouses were the very same property available that from the ground I had classed as “worn down” based on the wall that hid them. My view from above made it clear that they were really quite nice and that only the wall was ugly. As I realized this, I could almost hear God whispering to me, (Not like an audible whisper, but a thought in my mind) “My child, if you see things differently from the 16th floor, how much more is this true from my perspective?” I may see things as difficult or “ugly” from where I am, but God sees the bigger picture. He knows how that circumstance or thing fits in when I can’t see it. He knows that what may seem like a big ugly wall to me is really hiding something more beautiful beyond.

No comments: