Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Our joyful noise!

“Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands: Sing forth the honour of his name: make his praise glorious.” Psalm 66:1-2

Hubby began taking bass guitar lessons last night. Sixteen years ago he taught himself to play guitar and has only taken four lessons. You would never know it when you hear him play – he’s really good! He is especially good at improvising. Lately we have been noticing that a bass guitar would greatly enhance our Sunday morning worship at church. Hubby used to play guitar in church and approached the worship leader and pastor about the possibility of him playing bass guitar. After praying about it for a while, we decided it was about the right time for him to try it out. We rented a starter bass guitar and, as I already mentioned, last night he took his first lesson. He’ll give it a month or so to see how he likes it, and if he takes to it as much as to regular guitar, he’ll get up to speed as quickly as possible, then start playing for church.

With all this talking and thinking about music, hubby has been practicing both guitars more. Tonight I was able to worship while putting away dishes and cleaning up after dinner while hubby played guitar and we both made a joyful noise with our voices. Growing up I loved it when we would take a night to gather around my dad on guitar and sing through the hymn or praise book. It’s a tradition that I gladly carry on with our munchkin. Yes, I admit, we happily mixed in a bunch of fun, non-worshipful songs too. Both the worshipful and “secular” songs were so fun as our house was filled with music. Who knows? Maybe I’ll start the keyboard lessons that I’ve been wanting to take, but putting off for years.. There is something wonderful about music and singing as a family that fills a home with joy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may recall that the keyboard you were given was conditional on your learning to play it. If you don't learn soon I'm going to have to ask for it back! (vbg)