Friday, August 04, 2006

More water please!

We have been trying to teach Bug-a-Boo sign language so that he can communicate his needs and desires more easily and not get frustrated. While he doesn’t always do it, I am thrilled when he clearly signals “more drink” or “more food”. We’re working on adding “please” and "thank you" signs, and I’m really thrilled when he gets that, but right now I’m happy with any clear signing, because it helps me understand his needs and desires. Whenever possible, I am thrilled to comply. There are those times when he wants dogfood or something that I don’t want to give him for his own good, but whenever possible, I am thrilled to comply. Once again, this remided me of a spiritual lesson. The Bible is full of references about prayer: Cast your cares on the Lord. Pray without ceasing. If I as an earthly parent am thrilled when my son communicates with me and I want to comply when it is not harmful to my son, that must be how God sees my communication with him. I had heard this lesson many times before, but never was it as clear as it is now that Bug-a-Boo is starting to sign.

No comments: