Sunday, April 01, 2007
Did I say airport?
Last night we were sitting at dinner discussing the fact that hubby was getting ready to head to the airport to give a flight lesson. Bug-a-Boo loves to go to the airport as much or more than he loves to go to the park, so we were trying to be careful to spell what we were talking about. Just then without thinking I said, “What if Bug-a-Boo and I were to go to the airport with you?” His eyes lit up, and I thought, “Uh-oh!” Hubby had to run out the door right then, so we made a mad dash to gather up the things we would need to keep us occupied for the next couple hours at the airport and headed out with him. When we got there, we walked out to the plane and my son was in little boy heaven. First he had gotten to ride in the truck (His car-seat was there from a quick trip the day before, but usually he rides in the car.), then he was walking around all these cool airplanes. His life got even better when hubby’s student offered to let him ride around the pattern once. He hadn’t been flying in about 8 months, so he eagerly climbed in the backseat and enjoyed the whole ride. In the mad dash, I hadn’t brought something for him to drink or suck on out to the plane, so his ears bothered him at altitude, but as soon as we began to descend, they must have stopped, because he calmed right down. They taxied back to the terminal and let us out, then took back off while we sat on the bench outside the terminal and watched. Right after they took off, a helicopter came in and landed just a little ways from where we were sitting. The pilot came into the terminal to request fuel and on his way back out, stopped to comment on Bug-a-Boo’s excitement at being at the airport. He gave Bug-a-Boo a pin with a picture of his aero-medical helicopter on it, so while he walked back to his plane, I told explained about how he takes sick people to doctors who can help make them better. I have no idea how much my toddler understood, but when I finished explaining, he excitedly began waving and saying “Bye-bye! Bye-bye!” We went inside and spent the rest of the time while hubby was flying watching the runways from the comfort of the pilot’s lounge. Bug-a-Boo sat glued to the windows the whole hour or so, and I was even able to get a touch of reading in. On the way home, while Bug-a-Boo sang in the backseat, hubby and I talked about how, while our lives are filled with plenty of struggles just like anyone’s, we are so glad that God has called us to such a fun, exciting, and sometimes unusual life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment