
A Table in the Presence: The Dramatic Account of How a U.S. Marine Battalion Experienced God’s Presence amidst the Chaos of the War in Iraq by Lt. Carey H. Cash
I approached this book with some mixed emotions. Many people I love are currently serving in our military, so I wasn’t sure how I would feel about reading a book about our current war. Would it stir up in me a greater fear for those I love who are serving? Yet, I had heard the news reports, and I had heard the reports from my friends who were returning from deployments, and the latter were (and are) much more positive than the former. I thought this account written by a chaplain would shed some further light on the situation, and it did. The account did not diminish the danger, fear, death, or negative aspects associated with any war. Cash honored specific soldiers who gave the ultimate sacrifice by telling their stories. At the same time, it did show very clearly that hundreds of people were praying for our troops, and that God was working mightily among our soldiers. Cash recounts many direct answers to prayer, some miraculous. I was encouraged by this account, and reminded to pray continually for those who continue to risk their own safety for ours.
To see the other books on my Spring Reading List, click here.
To see other participants in the Spring Reading Thing, 2007, click here.
No comments:
Post a Comment