Thursday, April 26, 2007

Fun travels

Written on April 24
Bug-a-Boo and I were able to accompany hubby on a business trip to Atlanta this week. Yesterday while hubby was working, I took the Bugster to a nearby park. It was almost like it was made just for our family. There was a great playground with one section just the right size for my son. He would climb up the steps, run across the bridge, slide down the slide, then run around to do it all again. Next to the playground was a big field beside a lake. There were both geese and ducks playing on the pond and sitting in the field – fascinating to a toddler. Then just on the other side of the lake, we had a good view of a section of the runway from the nearby airport, so we could see some really neat planes takeoff and land. We spent over an hour there in the morning, then went back for a few minutes in the evening after dinner.

For dinner, we ate at the Marietta Diner. Hubby discovered this restaurant on a previous trip when an old-time co-worker took him there. I heard about it when he returned from that trip. When we talked about all doing this trip together, he was quick to say that this was the one place he wanted to make sure we ate while here. I thought it may not live up to all this talk, but now I do believe I may have a new favorite restaurant. It is set up like an old 1950’s diner. The menu has everything you could possibly want. Hubby thought that would make it a good place to take a pregnant wife. :-) I ended up with a gyro, hubby got a breakfast wrap, and Bug-a-Boo had a grilled-cheese sandwich. On top of our regular meal, we all got bread warm from the oven and a pastry appetizer with spinach in it – very yummy, especially for spinach! The food was all excellent quality, and we all had plenty. Our waiter, Joe was amazing – the best waiter I’ve had at a restaurant in a long time. Now granted we don’t eat out that often, but it seems like usually the waiter is either checking on you too often or not often enough. Joe made sure that we had everything we could need, while giving us our space to enjoy our meal. Everyone in the restaurant was very friendly and kind to my toddler. He was clearly a welcome patron rather than an intrusion as toddlers sometimes come across at other restaurants. The high chair they brought for him was painted in a beautiful array of colors. Perhaps the best toddler feature was that we sat in a booth with him on the end of the table facing the opposite wall which was a mirror. He had so much fun looking at himself and everyone else in the big mirror that crayons or toys were unnecessary. From start to end the dinner was such a great experience, you can be sure we will dine there anytime we are in this town.

No comments: