So often when tragedy happens, we hear people casting blame and see the horrific events portrayed over and over. Sometimes, but not nearly as often, we hear of those who stand up and do what is right in the midst of such devastation despite their own fears and insecurities. I have made it a point to not have the news on when my toddler is around, so I have not seen as much as most people have on the horrors that occurred at Virginia Tech, but I have heard enough to be grieved and moved to prayer. This morning I am up early before my son, and I found this article through Barbara’s website Mommy Life. It recounts three such heroes of this tragedy, all of whom are men who stood up to protect those around them at risk of their own peril. Liviu Lebrescu survived the Holocaust in Germany, but gave his life to protect the students entrusted into his care. Here is the beginning of the story as reported by the Boston Herald:
Tales of heroism are emerging from the senseless massacre at Virginia Tech: a professor’s self-sacrifice, an Eagle Scout’s presence of mind, and a terrified student’s resolve to save himself and others.
Engineering Professor Liviu Librescu, 77, survived the Nazis but died on Holocaust Remembrance Day, barring the killer long enough for his students to escape.
“My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee,” his son, Joe Librescu told the Associated Press from his home outside of Tel Aviv, Israel. “Students started opening windows and jumping out.” . . .
I pray that my son will never be in such a horrific situation or face such tragedy, but that if he does, he will be brave enough to stand up like Librescu and the two boys in this story in order to defend those around him, especially women or children. For the rest of the article and the stories of the Eagle Scout and the student who overcame his terror, click here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for the link...it was very meaningful. This is when the image of God still unsuppressed in the individual has a chance to shine. As John 15:13 says "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
Post a Comment