Friday, April 20, 2007

Math Anyone?

Tonight we stopped at a sandwich shop for a picnic dinner. Our bill came to $7.41. I handed the cashier $10.50. She accidentally typed $10.00 into the register, and so it said my change should be $2.59. The following conversation ensued:

Check-out girl: “Oh no. I typed $10 into the register, but she gave me $10.50. I’m so bad at math. I don’t know what to do.”

Sandwich maker: “Okay what did she give you?”

C-o g: “$10.50”

S m: “How much did she owe?”

C-o g: “$7.41”

S m: “Okay. She gets $2.09 back.”

C-o g: “Oh, gee, thanks.” Hands me change.

Me: “Umm, I think I’m supposed to get $3.09 back.

C-o g: “Really, uhhh . . .”

S m: “What? Hang on. Let me get a calculator.” Repeat lines 2 – 4 of conversation. “She gets $3.09 back. You gave her $2.09. So give her one more dollar.”

C-o g: “Thanks. I really hate math.”

During this exchange I smiled at the customer waiting very patiently behind me to check out. His response to all this? “Unbelievable.”

No comments: