
This weekend I was reminded that you just never know what to expect when you have a toddler around! Saturday evening we colored Easter Eggs as a family. Last year Bug-a-Boo watched while we did it, and looked on curiously, but wasn’t old enough to really participate, other than touching a couple and getting sticky fingers. This year he was totally old enough and wanted to be a big part of the action! We talked about how Jesus rose from the grave, and how eggs represent new life and how God can make our lives even more beautiful. Then I showed him the white hard-boiled eggs, then put a couple in the dye, and showed him how they came out colored. As soon as he realized what we were doing, we had to hold him back from climbing all onto the table as he tried to put EVERY white egg into the dye AT ONCE! He was so excited. In the end, only one ended up breaking, and he really enjoyed himself, so I would call it a great success. I made my own dye this year with food coloring, water, and vinegar, so the eggs took a while to completely dye, but they still came out good. For the final coat, I added a bit of oil to the color which gave the eggs a speckled appearance.
At bath time, hubby told Bug-a-Boo that since he had enjoyed dipping the eggs in the colors so much, we were going to color his bath water. My folks got him some Curious George colored bath fizzies for Christmas, so we plopped one in while we got him ready. He got in the tub and was so excited. He grabbed what had not yet dissolved of the fizzy, and proceeded to color his whole body blue with it. He had blue hair, blue cheeks, and a blue forehead. It was so cute. I waited to scrub him so that he could enjoy his blue colored self as long as possible. When I did wash him, I discovered much to my chagrin that the blue from the fizzy would not easily wash completely off! “Hubby!” I called, “I don’t think this is washing off!” “I know,” replied hubby. “I’m just trying to get it off my fingers and it’s not coming!” Ahhh! Easter was the next day and I had visions of my child showing up at church with blue war-paint on. How would I explain that??? I scrubbed some more until all but a shadow was off, and put Bug-a-Boo to bed. I am pleased to report that by the next morning, the blue was no longer evident. I guess that’s one advantage of having a toddler who tosses and turns a decent bit in his sleep!
No comments:
Post a Comment