Thursday, March 15, 2007

Sew happy!


For the last few years, my sewing has focused on making quilts. It has been years since I made a garment. I’m not sure what got into me, but the other day, I had an incredible urge to sew an outfit for Bug-a-Boo. If you’ve ever tried to find patterns for baby or toddler boy’s clothes, you know that they are few and far between. I found that there are normally about 12 girl’s patterns for every 1 boy’s pattern. At first this really bugged me until I realized that the reason is because as a very general rule, boys’ clothes are much simpler than girls’, so you really only need a couple basic patterns. That’s just fine with me! Anyway, the other day I found a really cute pair of short-alls on E-bay and thought, “I could make those pretty easily for a fraction of the cost.” I searched several pattern websites until I found two boy’s short-alls/overalls patterns that I liked. When JoAnn’s to put their McCall’s patterns on sale for $1.99, I snatched one up. I asked my mom to keep an eye out for cute bargain fabrics. She’s so sweet. I think she went out that day to her JoAnn’s and used a gift-card she had to buy two fabrics for me to make up. Thanks mom! You’re the best!

Yesterday I finished the first set of overalls, and I’m quite pleased with how they turned out. Since in the past when I have made garments, they have been for adults, I was amazed at how little fabric is required for a toddler’s outfit and how quickly it sews up! The pattern I chose is quite different from the overalls I saw on E-bay, but that’s fine with me. I made these overalls in a size 4T, so they are rather huge on Bug-a-Boo. I’ll make the next ones smaller. Still, I’m glad he’ll have room to grow in these.

Who knows? I may start making Bug-a-Boo little outfits more often!

1 comment:

amelia said...

GREAT JOB!!! Baby and toddler clothes really don't take much fabric, you're right. That's why I buy most of my fabric for the kids out of the remnant bin at JoAnn. Remnants typically mean less than 1 yard. I look for pieces that are 3/4 yard or more (you'd be surprised at how many pieces are close to a yard). Remnants at JoAnn are always 50% off the regular price per yard...and many times (especially around holidays)they are discounted more. Most of the time I'm getting almost a yard of fabric for less than $2 (most times $1 or less).

Here's a few patterns I recently bought (on sale for $1.99). I thought these were GREAT buys because they have both men's and boy's sizes. Simplicity 3852 (men's & boy's shirt AND baby boy romper!!) Simplicity 3891 (men's and boy's cargo shorts and pants). And another pattern I picked up had toddler boy and toddler girl outfits (if you have a girl, you'll be looking for those kinds of patterns too) Simplicity 3856.

That's my tips of the day :)