Thursday, March 15, 2007

Friends, paint, coffee, and lunch


What a great morning! My son has a cold, so we missed our play-group on Monday and have spent the majority of the week at home. By yesterday afternoon my extrovert self was going a little crazy for some fun people interaction. This morning was just the remedy I needed. Although it is a rather rainy, yucky day out, a friend and I bundled our kiddos up in their rain gear and headed downtown for some fun. The first stop was the library. I checked out a couple books on tape to listen to while I sew and do my housework, then we headed to the children’s department where they were hosting their first monthly toddler exploration. I had seen this in the library newsletter and signed up. Today’s exploration featured paint. I have been wanting to let Bug-a-Boo try painting, but haven’t because I’ve been too scared of the mess. When I heard that the library was encouraging toddlers to try painting, and they would set it up, provide the supplies, and clean up afterwards, how could I refuse? It was such great fun! They had several stations – painting with pudding, finger-paints, watercolors, and shaving cream, as well as texture-painting (using sponges, bubble-wrap, foam, large stamps, etc.) and painting with various balls. I think Bug-a-Boo most enjoyed the pudding, the texture-painting, and the finger-paints. It was so fun to see Bug-a-Boo interact with his friend K too.

While at the library, hubby left me a message. (Our library has had the courage to outlaw cell-phones. While it is a bit inconvenient, the quiet is kind of nice. They do allow you to step outside to use your phone or to listen to your voicemail in the hallway which is what I did.) Somehow Hubby had heard that Starbucks was celebrating National Coffee Break day by giving away free tall drip coffees from ten to noon. There is a Starbucks at the mall within walking distance of the library, so after feeding our parking meters, A and her daughter K headed there with Bug-a-Boo and I. Sure enough, Starbucks was indeed giving away free coffee. What is funny though is that there were no advertisements posted at this location. You just had to know to ask. Now, being pregnant, I’ve mostly cut out caffeine, but free Starbucks? That was worth the splurge.

From Starbucks, A and I headed with the kids to Panera’s for lunch. It was great to spend time together just hanging out, talking, and eating good food. It was also fun to see the kiddos interact with each other (playing peek-a-boo, chattering back and forth, or reaching out to touch hands) and with other customers. They particularly seemed to enjoy catching the eye of the older people, waving to them, and making them smile.

What a great day! I feel refreshed and ready to face whatever housework and projects lie ahead.

No comments: