While Bug-a-Boo is only a year and a half old, hubby and I have been thinking, praying, and talking about schooling options. Before I became a teacher, I was pro-homeschool. When I was teaching in Christian schools, I assumed this was the route we would go. Now we are back to seriously considering home-schooling. One of the reasons many parents give against it that has certainly been in my mind was that of socialization. “I don’t want my kids to turn out weird.” But then, what is weird? Who defines it? Today I found this article called “Homeschooling and Socialization”. It’s very worth checking out. I don’t think I could do it justice if I tried to summarize it here, so click on over and read it!
Edited to add: My concern about socialization and home-school kids turning out weird was BEFORE I started doing the research. This article is one of many which shows that home-schooled children are better socially adjusted than their traditionally-schooled counterparts. The home-schooled children I know almost all demonstrate this. They are much more well adjusted. That’s my point. I am learning that my original misconception was just that – a misconception.
I also found this post this morning where Annie shares about the near-drowning of her daughter Izzy when she was my son’s age. It was a good reminder just before Spring to be extra vigilant to watch him near any body of water, be it the bath, a pool, a lake, or a small fish-pond. She also recommends a video on teaching toddlers to swim. It looks interesting. I’d encourage you to check out her story and offer a prayer for her family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment