Sunday, February 04, 2007

Water

Yesterday morning the alarm went off super bright and early (the time it read began with 4) since hubby had an early morning at work. As he was getting ready, and I was drifting between semi-sleep and semi-consciousness, he turned on the water faucet and out came – nothing. Not a drop, not a gross colored water – nothing. We checked other faucets and discovered the same thing – nothing. Before I had fallen asleep I read a chapter or two out of a book in which a virus is threatening to wipe out the whole planet, so my first thought was that we were under a massive terrorist attack and had no water. I had just read the day before in my devotions Proverbs 31:21 “When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet.” The Proverbs 31 woman was prepared. How prepared was I for no water? While I was thinking these things, hubby had gone out to the garage and brought in the two gallons of drinking water that we keep in our emergency supplies. “How long will 2 gallons last?” I wondered. I remembered that we also had a decent bit of milk and juice on hand since I had just gone shopping, so I decided we would be okay for a little while. Hubby left for work. I wish I could say that I had done something very industrious to prepare my family for the dangers that must surely lie ahead, but instead I went back to sleep. When I awoke again, one of the first things I did was try the faucets and out poured water! I was so glad. It’s amazing how little we think about things like this until they are gone. It turns out that there was a break in a nearby water main, and so everyone’s water was turned off overnight. They turned it back on before they thought most people would be awake on a Saturday morning.

While the water is on, they cannot guarantee its safeness, so we are under a boil-water-advisory. There is a place nearby where yesterday they were handing out drinking water to those who need it. Thankfully our gallons are still lasting, plus we’ve spent some time at friends houses who live outside the affected area. Drinking is no problem, but with a danger of microorganisms, I don’t want to wash my dishes. I feel like a horrible housewife, but the dishwasher is full, and the dishes are now accumulating in the sink. Soon we’ll have to start using paper and plastic if they don’t get this fixed. Or maybe I’ll boil a bunch of water, then use that to do dishes. All this has been a good reminder to appreciate even the little things while they are there, and to be prepared for emergencies. Since hubby had to work today, we are taking tomorrow as our Sabbath, so I think this afternoon I’ll check through our emergency supplies and see what else we still need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here are a few things that some people may not know (from http://waltonfeed.com/self/water.html) Two-liter pop bottles make a good container for additional water storage and cost nothing if you save them and fill them with water as you empty them. To economize many people are tempted to use empty milk jugs, but don't plan to store water in these for more than 3-4 months. They are bio-degradable and will break down within 6 months. Not only may you loose your water, but if they are stored near food or other items, they may damage them.
Culinary water (tap water) is what is usually stored for long term storage. If you have a clean, opaque container where the light cannot get through and your water is bacteria-free when you store it you probably don't need to treat it further. Under these conditions the water actually gets more pure as it is stored. However, for most of us there is no guarantee that our culinary water is bacteria-free and most of us prefer to treat our water in some way as a precaution as we store it. Several methods have traditionally been used to purify water for long term water storage:

Two percent Tincture of Iodine -- To use this add 12 drops per gallon of water. Note: pregnant or nursing women or people with thyroid problems should not drink water with iodine.
Chlorine Bleach -- Household bleach can also be used. This should contain a 5.25% solution of sodium hypochlorite without soap additives or phosphates. Use 1/8 teaspoon (about 5-8 drops) per gallon of water.