Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Veggies

Since Bug-a-Boo is a toddler, he is discovering and testing his abilities to control his environment. He used to eat anything I would put in front of him. Now he has become a more reluctant eater. Vegetables have been a particular struggle. I want him to get the nutrients, but he just doesn’t want to eat them. This past week I was craving homemade cream of broccoli soup in bread-bowls. I made some up using the recipe from the Betty-Crocker red plaid cookbook. Hubby knew when I had started dinner, and couldn’t believe it was done so quickly. (The soup that is, not the bread bowls.) Bug-a-Boo could not get enough of it! I have shied away from giving him much soup, because the sodium content on canned soup is so high. This was super healthy and very green, but he ate it up like candy. I planned it again for St. Patrick's Day. You can bet various cream of vegetable soups will now be a regular on our menu.

Veggie soup - It works for me!

For other Works for Me Wednesday ideas, visit Rocks in My Dryer.

3 comments:

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your toddler? My soon-to-be-three-yr-old won't touch veggies either! LOL You think the cream soups work since they are so thick (more like yogurt)? How do you handle the heat issue? Is it any more or less messy than anything else? We don't normally eat cream soups so this is interesting...

Bessers said...

Hi Beth. Thanks so much for your comment and questions! My son is 19 months old. I was really surprised that he ate the broccoli soup as he has avoided anything at all green, and this was really green! I served his portion into his bowl and put ice cubes in it to cool it down. We've also (unintentionally by modeling) taught him to blow on hot food once it's on his spoon to cool it off, so he did that with this. Sometimes I put his portion in the freezer while I set the table and serve hubby and I, but I didn't do that this time. We gave him chunks of bread to dip in the soup, and he really liked that. I think that combined with the creamy texture helped. Oh, and I sprinkled some grated cheddar cheese on top, and he loves cheese. It was pretty messy, but he really did try to eat it with his spoon and/or bread, and got way more in his belly than on his outfit, so I was happy. I guess I figure with a little boy, laundry is inevitable. Let me know if you try it and how it works for you.

Annette said...

I'll have to try that with my toddler (20 mths). Thanks for the tip!