Sunday, November 12, 2006

The mall

Last night we went to the mall so that we could go to Stride Rite and find out if Bug-a-Boo needed new shoes. The folks there have always been so helpful. The shoes are way expensive, but they are the kind that my son’s doctor and several family members highly recommend. Plus, Bug-a-Boo is a late walker (He walks, but is still rather unsteady), so we want to do anything we can to make sure he has every advantage to help him walk. That said, he is currently wearing a pair of Stride Rite shoes that I found second-hand barely used. The folks at Stride Rite looked at his shoes and feet and declared that they fit perfectly, and he shouldn’t need new ones for another three months. They also said that the shoes he has are great for beginner walkers. That’s the second time we’ve gone into that store willing to pay the $45 it costs for a pair of shoes for him only to be told he didn’t need them!

We left Stride Rite and I was amazed at all the new stores that have sprung up at the mall since we were last there. Even as we looked around, I found myself fighting the materialism and feelings of “I need that.” Interestingly I don’t feel like I need the latest, best, or coolest stuff for me, but I am very tempted to get the latest, best, and coolest stuff for my son. I know that we don’t have much money budgeted for those things and remind myself that “stuff” is not what’s important anyway. Bug-a-Boo can have just as much fun and learn just as much with the things he has. At least I try to tell myself that. Still, the allure of the great “stuff” at the mall is pretty strong. I guess that’s why we don’t often go there. Of course, he will be getting nice, new stuff for Christmas. My point is that the mall can make it seem like nothing is enough, and when I leave, it’s good to remind myself of just how blessed we already are.

With that said, after leaving Stride Rite we headed off to Gymboree – a very dangerous place. They had a great sale going on, and we made it out with only three items, two of which are for a friend’s new baby. We then went to the toy store. Now at this particular mall they have a really cool toy store with wonderful educational toys, many of which are set up for your child to try out. I figured that Bug-a-Boo is used to play dates at friends houses where he gets to play with toys, then has to leave them, so this would just be kind of like that. He did a great job of playing, then not complaining too much when it was time to leave. He sat down at a toddler size wooden table and just sat there looking at us, like “look – it’s just my size.” He then moved on to the trains on the train tables. He loved both of those, but seemed to prefer the wooden one over the plastic. (Of course – it’s more expensive!) He tried out the Step 2 slides. I was actually planning on getting him one for Christmas since he loves the slides at the playground so much, but we found out that his proportions are wrong for it! He had a hard time climbing the ladder-like steps, then when I picked him up and set him on top, the slide portion was too small for him. Of course that didn’t stop him from wanting to do it again and again, but I’m so glad I discovered that before Christmas! The grow-with-me Basketball hoop was a hit, and he really wanted to open up and play with the wooden puzzles with the knobs. The play food was packaged up, but I think had it been out, he would have loved it. They didn’t have the pop-up tunnel set up for him to play with, but I think he would have liked that too. Oh, and he was quite enthralled by the train that they had circling the ceiling. All his grandpas (including his great-grandpa) have train sets that they set up at Christmas, so I look forward to seeing how he reacts to those.

I’m so glad that Thanksgiving comes before Christmas. Even though Santa is already set up at the mall welcoming children to sit on his lap, I need this season to stop and thank God for all the wonderful things he has provided for us. Compared to the majority of the world, we Americans are all so rich. We have far more than we truly need. I had a lot of fun window-shopping with my family last night, but now I want to remind myself that Thanksgiving is coming, and I need to thankful for all I have been given. I can start by thanking God for Stride Rite sales people who tell me that, no, my son really doesn’t need a new pair of $45 shoes – yet!

2 comments:

amelia said...

A friend passed this helpful tip along to me after I bought Ilana a pair of Stride Rites (I returned them before she wore them) - Target carries a brand of shoes made by Stride Rite. Says right on the signs and packaging - made by Stride Rite. Those were Ilana's first shoes.

Bessers said...

Wow! I didn't realize that. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!