Sunday, November 19, 2006

Card making for missions

This afternoon was the card making party for the ladies of my church that I organized. We gathered to first hear about what missionaries were doing and pray for them, then to make Christmas cards for them. I hadn’t really made cards before and, well, my card shows it. I did learn a lot though and my next one will be better. It’s the thoughts or more like the prayers that went with it that count, right? Anyway, I was pretty nervous about the evening before it started, but it went really well. I think it did a good job of expanding all of our views about what God is doing in the world. It’s so easy at this time of year to get so wrapped up in myself and my little world. The stories of missionaries who are making huge sacrifices to take the Bible to places where it is not were inspiring and made my problems seem so petty by comparison. We were also able to pray specifically for each missionary, and hopefully the cards we made will help encourage them. All in all, it was a great time. As a matter of fact, at the end when the Y which was hosting our get-together announced the closing time, everyone wanted to keep going. So next Sunday we’re getting together for more! Some ladies even said they hoped to learn about more missionaries who they can include. I hope this is the start of a new Christmas tradition among the ladies in my church.

1 comment:

amelia said...

I think this is such a great idea! Good for you for getting it started!!