Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Works for Me Wednesday: Using ripe fruit

I try very hard to keep fresh fruit and other healthy snacks on hand. Sometimes this means I go overboard in my buying and have more fruit at the ripe or very ripe stage than we can eat. It kills me when it goes to waste. I know you can make banana bread with leftover bananas, but here is a recipe I found that works for many fruits. It’s for homemade fruit roll-ups. I’ve tried it with apples and plums. Both worked great. My hubby and toddler both love them. It is a great way to get extra fruits into their lunches. I found a grocery store that puts all their rather ripe fruits on clearance for $.39/lb. If I have time to do this that day, then this becomes a very frugal snack in addition to being a healthy one. The recipe book I found it in suggests using apples, peaches, pears, nectarines, or canned pumpkin. It also says this will work with “too-hard-to-eat” fruit, “too-ripe” fruit, or even well-drained, canned fruit. Enjoy and let me know what you think.

Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups

Peel and core, then mash or puree the fruit. I found that the easiest way to do this is in my food processor. A blender would also work.

In a saucepan, combine the fruit with 1 teaspoon honey for each piece of fruit. Cook for five minutes in a suacepan over moderate heat. (Another recipe I found suggested cooking to a temperature of 180 degrees. With a more watery fruit like plums, that’s what I did.) Then allow mixture to cool some.

Lay out clear plastic wrap on a cookie sheet or broiling tray. Use one piece of plastic for each piece of fruit. Spoon mixture onto the wrap staying away from its edge. Spread mixture until it’s pretty thin. Spread another piece of plastic wrap over the mixture and press down with fingers or a wide spatula to make it evenly thin. (Note: the first time I made these, I made it too thin and it was hard to eat. I’d say aim for about 1/8 inch thickness.) Remove the top sheet of plastic carefully and dispose of it.

Turn oven to its lowest possible heat or just use the pilot light. Place tray(s) in oven and leave overnight (6 – 8 hours). The plastic shouldn't melt. When the fruit is dry, roll up the plastic wrap with the dried fruit on it. They are now ready to peal and eat. (Note: the first time I made these, I did it during the day, just to be sure the plasic wouldn't somehow catch on fire. It did't.)

The book claims they will last several months this way, but you’re likely to eat them way before then. It also points out that if you don’t understand how this should look, stop in at a health food-store and ask to look at their fruit rolls. While there notice the price and enjoy feeding your family both healthily and frugally!

Thanks to Shannon at Rocks in My Dryer for hosting Works for Me Wednesday where you can find all kinds of great household tips!

Recipe source: Feed Me I’m Yours by Vicki Lansky

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

YUM! Fruit Rollups have always been a favorite of mine... and luckily I married a man that loves them also! I am going to HAVE to try this... I have dehydrated ripe fruit before and it is pretty good, but NOTHING beats a fruit rollup!

Mama Duck said...

We used to do this in the food dehydrator! Happy Wednesday - our tip is up as well!

Stephanie said...

These sound MUCH more like the fruit rolls I remember as a child than these processed "Fruit Roll Ups" you find at the grocer. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

Now the fruit roll ups from the store just aren't going to cut it,these are much healthier as well, thanks for the tip.

Rae said...

Fruit Rollups are delicious, and what a great idea! Thanks for the recipe! =)

Ms. Kathleen said...

This is a truly excellent tip. Thank you!!

mira said...

We usually use our "extra" fruit to make smoothies. This will be a nice addition to our use-it-up efforts. Thanks for the tip.

mira said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.