Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Toothbrush tunes

The other day I was working in the kitchen, and Bug-a-Boo wanted to be right there “helping” me. I opened the drawer in which I keep the lids to all my Tupperware-type containers for him to play with them. Mixed in with the lids are a few odds and ends. He found a travel toothbrush holder and the next thing I knew, it was his current favorite toy. We needed to run an errand, so I loaded him into the car holding fast to the toothbrush holder. We were driving down the road when I heard a whistling noise. I wasn’t sure where it came from, but looking in the rear-view mirror, I noticed Bug-a-Boo alternately sucking on and blowing through the toothbrush holder, making it whistle. Having never realized that a toothbrush holder could be played as a musical instrument, when we stopped, I decided to give it a try. It was all one note, so not the most interesting tune, but I figured out how to do it.

With that in mind, yesterday when we were at the music store, I used some of his birthday money to buy him a harmonica. Harmonicas use the same theory as the toothbrush holder only make “real” music and different notes. So far he’s been fascinated to see me play it, but mainly wants to blow on the end, rather than the side, and has only gotten one short note out of it himself. Do we have a budding musical prodigy on our hands? We’ll see. Until then, there’s always the toothbrush holder.

No comments: