Yesterday we went to the library. My son is only fourteen months old, but I think he is already starting to realize that the library is a fun place. The last few times we went, I carried him, which meant that he could reach whatever shelf I was near. He loves looking at books, but he also loves pulling them off the shelf and dropping them on the floor. Hubby and I had to take turns holding him and looking for things to check out. This was one of the first times I have attempted the library without hubby there, so I put baby boy in his stroller, and that worked great for about 5 minutes. Thankfully that was just enough time to pick out a new book for hubby and I, plus a video and two books on tape. (Incidentally, books on tape have been a huge help to me in getting mundane chores like folding laundry done. When I’m listening to a book on tape, the work doesn’t seem anywhere near as monotonous.)
We headed upstairs to the children’s department, and my dear son got so excited. I let him get out of the stroller and he made a bee-line for the magnetic letters. He sat and played happily with them while I went through and picked out several new board books and a couple new bath books. We cleaned up the letters, then while I looked over the kids CDs, he stood at the little table and played with a puzzle. Granted, playing with it involved a whole lot of taking the big wooden pieces out and not much putting them in, but he enjoyed it just the same. We put the puzzle away, then he started to pull board books off the shelf. This was my cue that it was time to head home. I look forward to the day when he will be able to pick out his own books, and we will be able to come home and enter a whole new world of his choosing thanks to the library. Although a few favorites will continue to be read again and again no matter what, I’m glad that the library offers a bit of added variety without adding to the clutter we permanently store.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ahh...library fun with toddlers. I pick all my books out online so they are just waiting for me when I go to the library. Makes the trip soo much easier!
Post a Comment