Friday, September 01, 2006
Surprise!
I’m not a big one for surprises. I don’t mind finding out about things at the last minute – I’ve gotten pretty used to that. Still, I like some warning of what is going to happen. At the same time, every now and then, a good surprise is nice. Last night I got to be part of giving a good surprise. My friend E. is expecting her first baby. Her church is out of town, but she’s been attending a summer Bible study sponsored by my church. Last night was the final meeting before switching to our new fall line-up of Bible studies. The ladies agreed to throw a mini-surprise shower for her. I thought for sure I would give it away, since the Bible study is in the evening, and therefore, childcare is not provided. (Generally the hubbies watch the kiddos while the ladies attend.) My hubby was working, so I pulled up with my son right behind E. I wondered how I could explain our presence and make it inside without her seeing the gift we’d brought and figuring it out. I fumbled with some things in the diaper bag, and since it was raining, E. headed inside. When all the ladies arrived, J. who was leading the Bible study, told E. that we wanted to take some time to celebrate the new life God was entrusting to she and her husband. She was so surprised. It was precious. She really hadn't expected anyone to throw her a shower, and she was okay with that. There were a few gifts for her to open including ours, but mostly everyone had gone in on a gift card so that she could buy something big that she still needed. When she opened the gift-card, tears filled her eyes. You could tell that she was so touched. The best thing about this is that she truly wasn’t expecting any of it, and you could tell that it meant a great deal to her. This, I thought, is community. It was expressed through everyone chipping in a small amount which put together, made a substantial gift. More than that, this was the body of Christ coming together to encourage a sister in her walk and let her know that, even though she may not be a member of our church, we love her and want to support her in her journey. I am so blessed to be a part of this church and this group of ladies.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment