Sunday, October 01, 2006

Fall Into Reading Part 1

I have been inspired by the Fall Reading Challenge at Callapidder Days. She has challenged people to share on their blogs a list of books they’d like to read (or finish) during the next few months. The idea is to share your list, then later share the results. I was inspired by this and rounded up a bunch of books, but before I published my list, I found myself caught up in reading and neglecting to publish the list. I am having a hard time deciding which books I want to read most. I plan to finalize publish it soon, but for now, here are some thoughts on a book that I planned to put on my list and already finished tonight.

I just finished reading Seven from Heaven: The Miracle of the McCaughey Septuplets by Kenny & Bobbi McCaughey. This was a great, easy read. I had seen some press on this family when the babies were born. Seeing their love for their babies, I assumed that they had been excited to hear that they were expecting septuplets. Reading the book showed me how overwhelmed they were and how it was very hard for them to adjust to the idea at first. In other words, they were perfectly normal people. I was also impressed by how they realized this task was way bigger than themselves, and there was no way to do what they needed to do unless God stepped in and did it through them. I only have one baby and have so often felt that way! I believe that this dependence on God was rewarded by the way they have seen an outpouring of support for their family from a new van and house to diapers and formula to hours and hours of volunteer support. Their heavenly Father was pleased to provide for their needs. I love this quote at the end of the book, as it seems to sum up a lot of where I am at right now:

“’We’re learning.’ Truth is, whether we have one or two or seven or eight children, we as parents can never know what lies ahead of us. All parents struggle with the expectations, the demands, and the awesome responsibility we face. We have to learn as we go – some faster, some slower, than others.”

It is such an awesome responsibility God has given hubby and I to raise Bug-a-Boo. As he is quickly becoming less and less of a baby and more and more of a toddler, and is frequently mirroring our actions, I agree so much with the song that says, “I want to be just like you [Jesus] ‘cause he wants to be like me. Many of the books I have been reading deal with parenting, as I am sure my list, if I ever finish it, will reflect. In the meantime, I strive each day to nurture the precious gift God has entrusted to my care.

No comments: