Friday, October 15, 2010

The good old days

Its so easy to focus on the things in life that are going wrong - the camera that keeps deleting precious photos before I can get them to my computer, the weedwacker that won't start, the deck half-painted because rain stopped the project, the baskets of laundry half-done, the messes needing cleaning, the bills to be paid. In this world, there will always be things going wrong. At the same time, there will always be things going right. In the middle of rest time, I peek in on my children. My son sits quietly, carefully examining a book from the library on one of his latest facinations. My husband has gotten the weedwacker going and is working in the yard. My daughter is sitting on her bed, wearing a swimsuit despite the cold weather. She is determined that if she just leaves it on, Mommy & Daddy will find a way for her to go swimming. On her head she wears a pair of underwear as a knight's helmet. She carefully puts together a puzzle while singing her favorite Bible memory song - "When I am afraid, I will trust in you, in God whose Word I praise." We are healthy. We have a warm house and plenty of food. I would rather have the messes and bills any day than be in a neat, tidy, lonely house. I have so much to be thankful for. As a friend's shirt boasted the other day, "These are the good old days!" Thank you, God, for today.

No comments: