Wednesday, October 06, 2010

2 year old peer pressure

Princess is enjoying her first year of Awanas. Yes, I am the mother of a proud Puggle. The last couple weeks however, she has eagerly anticipated Wednesday night all week, then clung to me when it was time for me to drop her off. Finally one day she announced what I suspect was the reason for her reticence. "Mommy, Puggles wear underwear - not diapers!"

Now we have been trying for what seems like forever to potty-train. I knew that I had done all I could do. She needed to decide that she wanted to do it. I had been putting her in underwear at home until about the fifth accident in a day, then back to diapers. I also would have her wear diapers when we would go out in public. I was eagerly awaiting the day when she would decide that she wanted to wear underwear, not diapers. I was certain I had equipped her the best I could. The motivation needed to come from within her.

The thing is - her announcement that Puggles wear underwear, and she didn't want any more diapers came right as we were preparing to head out on a co-op field trip. Hubby had the day off, so I pulled him aside.

"She wants to wear underwear, not diapers. But what do I do? Of all times, we're heading out on our first co-op field trip of the year!"

Hubby calmly replied, "So? Its outdoors." (true) "Take a change of clothes & let her try it."

So we did. She did great! We actually made it through the day with no accidents until we got home, and then only one. From that point on, it was no more diapers. That was Friday. The following Wednesday we were headed out of town to visit some family. The family we would stay with hadn't had toddlers in a long time. Their floors were hardwood, covered with very expensive Oriental rugs. Visions of an accident on one of those rugs almost drove me to buy one last package of Pull-Ups, even knowing that would be a step backwards. While packing and cleaning out the car, one lone Pull-Up was found. I felt better knowing we had it if I thought it was necessary. But it wasn't. My little girl went the whole trip with not a single accident. Her explanation - "Mommy. I'm a big girl now. Puggles wear underwear!" That was it.

For the most part, she has had very few accidents since. Tonight she went to Puggles with no more diapers. This time she only held tight to me for a moment, then confidently joined her fellow-Puggles. I expected Awanas would help her memorize Scripture and learn about God, but who knew it would be the key to finally conquor potty-training!

1 comment:

Jeggrey E said...

Way to go "Princess Puggle"!!!