Friday, September 19, 2008
An Unexpected Flashback
We have recently begun enjoying some classic family movies with the children. Tonight we snuggled on the sofa and watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang featuring one of my favorite actors - Dick Van Dyke. There were a couple scenes I fast-forwarded because they were a tad intense for a toddler, but the story was just as amusing as I remembered. At one point the movie takes place in "Vulgaria". When they filmed the castle, I was pretty sure it must have been New Schwanstein – a castle I wanted to visit when we traveled to Germany, but it didn’t work out. However, when they cut to the village scene outside the castle, I was blown away by how much it reminded me of the old towns we did visit in Germany. The wall around the town looked hauntingly familiar as if I had walked it. When we finished, I read the DVD’s insert which stated that "In the neighboring Bavarian town of Rothernberg on the Tauber, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang got some help from the locals." No wonder it looked so familiar! Hubby, Bug and I spent a wonderful day touring Rothenberg two years ago, and I had indeed walked around the wall pictured. That was a fun, unexpected flashback to some good memories.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment