Tuesday, September 16, 2008

That makes me happy

My son is at the age where he is just learning to understand and express his emotions. It can make for some interesting discussions. "The fork makes me sad. The spoon makes me happy," is just one recent example. Here is another:

Sunday I was excited because I finally finished the coordinating mommy/daughter outfits that I made. I put on my lavender skirt, and dressed the baby in the dress made with the same fabric covered in delicate flowers. With us dressed, I picked out the clothes for my son to wear and started to dress him.

"Mommy, that shirt makes me sad," he said.

"This shirt makes you sad? Why?"

"It makes me sad, mommy. I want to wear a shirt that makes me happy."

Guessing where this was going, I asked, "What shirt makes you happy?"

"My truck shirt!" he excitedly replied. "Is okay I wear my truck shirt, Mommy?" He was referring to the shirt I made for him. I was happy to acquiesce, and we all set off for church in our homemade outfits.

You know, I really don’t save money or time by sewing, but it is so worth it for the joy that I see in my children’s eyes and the love that I believe my children can feel sewn into each stitch. You can’t buy that.

No comments: