
I am adjusting to life with two little ones. I recall that someone told me when my son was born, that if I could just survive the first six weeks, things would begin to return to normal. My daughter was six weeks old yesterday, and I do feel a sense of normalcy returning, albeit slowly. This morning I was reading this very encouraging article article on Mommy Life which contains a devotional on motherhood by Elisabeth Elliot. I love this quote from Elliot’s mother: "If one child takes all your time six can't take any more."
In order to try to maximize the time I have with both kids and get things done, I have gone back to writing down predictable routines for us and trying to stick to them. We’ll see how that goes! Also this past weekend hubby picked up this book which we are going through together, reading one day at a time and trying to apply what it says.
The biggest news from this past week is that hubby has accepted a new job as a commercial airline pilot. We are very excited about this. It is the beginning of a dream come true for him. It also means that he is beginning to close out the business that he has been running as an instructor pilot. There are many things about this that make us so excited. One of them is that he will have a set schedule which I think will really help him enjoy his off time more.
Since accepting this job, hubby has already been able to relax and enjoy more time with the kids and I. That has been wonderful! Our toddler is at an age where everything is so new and exciting to him, and he is old enough to really begin to understand and interact with the world. This week he helped Daddy rake leaves into a pile and jump in them. You should have seen the huge grin this brought to his face. The next day the leaf piles were covered with snow, which he thought made for even better jumping. He helped build his first snowman, made snowballs, went sledding, and attempted to make snow angels. He spent as much time outside that day as we would let him, then thrilled to warm up with hot chocolate. The hill was so slick that it was hard to get back up, so hubby and I each just took one turn down it with Bug-Bug on the sled. We all slipped and slid our way back up to the top. Since no one was hurt, our toddler found this absolutely hilarious. The rest of the day, he laughed and said, "Mommy fall down. Daddy fall down." This week has also included many times of God’s protection over our little Curious George. It never ceases to amaze me how he can sometimes get hurt even when I am right there closely supervising him. I guess it serves to remind me that each day we are given health & safety is by God’s grace, not by any super-mommy skills I have.
Last night our little princess was getting a tad fussy so I was holding her, when I realized there was something downstairs I needed that would require both hands to carry upstairs. Hubby held her while I went to get it. As I came back, he said she had been looking around trying to find where I had gone. When I walked into the room and she saw me, a big grin lit up her face, making my day. Granted, that was followed by obvious requests to nurse which I gladly granted, but still, to see her recognize me and light up with a smile made all the more tedious work seem worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment