Wednesday, September 22, 2010

More Schoolwork, Please!

As we continue on our homeschool journey, I am starting to learn that our homeschool will not always look like a regular school. I am coming to the place where I can add, and that's okay. As a matter of fact, that's even good! For a former school teacher, that's been a big stretch for me. I have an awesome lesson planner for the year, and while I realize it is a plan, sometimes it is hard to deviate from it. I do try to stick to the plan as much as possible, but lately Bug has gotten really excited about what he is doing, and didn't want to stop. His attention span has sometimes beat mine. I want to encourage the longer attention span, so the last couple days, that has meant adjusting our plans. Here are two examples:

Yesterday Bug had finished his handwriting page. We were working on the number eight, which I thought would be hard. When we finished our chalkboard practice & workbook practice, he begged, "Please, Mommy. Can we please go ahead and learn how to do nine right?" Thank you, Handwriting Without Tears! Handwriting has been our biggest struggle, so to have him beg for another lesson was amazing. "Yes, Bug. We may." Back to the chalkboard, then back to the book. His grin was huge when he was able to show Daddy his double handwriting work!

Today we were w0rking on Math, and Bug seemed to be having a hard time focusing. He kept trying to do things like do the work with his eyes closed. In frustration I said, "You need to do this right or I'm going to make you do an extra math page." "Oh, Mommy, please may I?" "Umm, you WANT an extra math page?" "Yes, what would I have to do to get one-thousand extra pages?" "Well, I tell you what. You do this page well, and I'll keep giving you more - as many as you want." There are six pages in a lesson. He did all six in the current lesson, then three from the next. Thank you Math U See!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Many Mom's of 5 year old boys who would find this amazing!
Momeee