This year it has been particularly tough to let go of summer. I'm not sure why that is true this year more than others. Maybe its because I see my children growing up so fast. The hard times that have come have helped me to appreciate all the more the simple, good times like yesterday when the kids and I went to the pool for the last time this summer. As soon as we got out, the deck chairs were put up, the diving boards were removed, and even the lifeguard stands were packed up for the winter. The chill breeze on our damp bodies reminded us that although its hard to let go of summer, we must. I could relate to my son as he said in the car, "Mommy, I know I should be excited that the pool is closing, because now Awanas and Bible Study can start. But I'm still a little sad." I hear you Bug. I understand fully.
This afternoon while my daughter napped, my son came to me with an eager gleam in his eyes. "Mommy, I had a dream that I could ride my bike without my training wheels. Can we please go seee if it was real?" Yes. I was sure he wasn't ready, but maybe he just needed me to let him figure it out. He tried, and I was pleasantly surprised. I think if he had a long enough flat straight-away, he would have done it. I could have let go and he would have flown - for a little bit anyway. When my back could take no more, I put the training wheels back on, and he rode that way for a while again.
Someday I will have to let go again, but for now, I am glad to hold on a little while longer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment