Friday, August 21, 2009

My little repairman

Last night Bug was having a hard time falling asleep. He had taken a nap during the day, and was consequently wide awake at his normal bedtime. Hubby was working late, and I let Bug leave his door open and play quietly in his room.

We recently bought a beautiful full-size bedroom set off my sister. I was excited to use it in hubby's and my room, but the problem is, we are used to sleeping on a queen size bed. My wonderful MIL informed me of the existance of full-to-queen converter rails, so I ordered them and have been enjoying sleeping on our beautiful new bed which has our queen matress on it. The bedrails sit up higher than standard though, so I had to also order the center post extension which arrived yesterday. I thought it looked simple enough to install without even removing the mattress and boxsprings, so last night after the kids were down for the night I laid on the floor to install it. Unfortunately I dropped a nut down a little hole.

At about the same time Bug came into my room to tell me about a picture he had found in a book. I asked him to get me a crayon or pencil which I planned to use to pop the nut back out of the hole and finish the repair. He promptly got one for me, then asked what in the world I was doing under the bed. I explained.

After a brief hesitation, he said, "Mommy, I think you better wait until Daddy gets home and let him do that, because you shouldn't use crayons to fix a bed. You should use tools."

I told him that I didn't want to bother Daddy and was hoping to have the repair done before Daddy got home. "I have tools, Mommy. I can help," was his reply. The next thing I knew he had gone down to the garage where he got his toolbox and brought it upstairs. By that time, the repair was done, but his sincerity in wanting to do the "manly work" for me was so sweet. I let him crawl under the bed and he spent the rest of the time until hubby came home "fixing" our bed and trying to make it more comfy.

When hubby came home, he ran out and told him all about how Mommy was trying to fix the bed with crayons, so he used tools. While I did know what I was doing, I smile every time I hear him in my head saying, "Mommy, I think you better wait until Daddy gets home and let him do that, because you shouldn't use crayons to fix a bed. You should use tools," then joyfully jumping in to help.

No comments: