Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Milk Laugh

This year I have started doing "school time" with my son. It’s kind of our experiment with homeschooling while he is in pre-school, and it doesn’t really count. We are using the kindergarten curriculum from My Father’s World. It has a lot of Bible, science and phonics mixed with introductory math, writing, art, and music. Most days we really enjoy it. Days I attempt to have him do any handwriting or much coloring are usually like pulling teeth, but other than that it’s a lot of fun.

Today Bug was doing a cut and paste page that had six pictures. He was to cut out 3 m’s and 3 s’s and glue them each under a picture that started with that letter. I knew he could do this, so I let him work independently while I washed dishes nearby. When it came to the last picture, a snowman, he said, "Mommy, s- s- snowman starts with S. All I have left is an M. That’s not right." I was a bit surprised as I really didn’t expect any trouble with this page. I had him go through and check each picture orally, telling me what it was and what it started with. I had to laugh when he came to the picture of a milk carton and said, "S- S- Skim Milk." I explained that it was just milk, not necessarily skim. It could be whole or two percent. He then looked at me funny, like "Why would you want anything but skim milk?" before saying, "Oh. I guess that makes sense," and fixing his paper. I suppose I should have said it might be chocolate milk. That I’m pretty sure he would have totally related to.

1 comment:

momeee said...

There is a lot in this world to make us smile if we look for it. No wonder Jesus loved children so much!