Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter

For Easter, I did not get to do everything I hoped to, but we have done some good, fun things.

We have been reading the Easter story from the Bible as well as from some books I got out of the library including The Legend of the Easter Egg and Leading Little Ones to God. I also requested The Legend of the Easter Lily, but it didn’t come in on time, so we’ll continue next week or whenever that comes in. We have had some great discussions. All this has also been reinforced by what my preschooler has heard at Awanas and BSF. Saturday night I plan to make Resurrection cookies and discuss all the great symbolism contained in making them. On Easter morning the kids will get baskets. We thought about moving this to the first day of Spring, but didn’t get them together in time to pull it off. Included will be some chocolate eggs and jelly beans (Life is more sweet because of what Jesus did for us!), some fun shaped bath soaps and bath toys (Our sins are washed clean through Jesus’s blood.), and new clothes (We can have new life in Jesus.).

Growing up, my mom always made us new dresses for Easter. I have tried to continue this tradition. This year my daughter will have a beautiful hand-made smocked pink dress from Grandma (Thanks Mom Y!) and little sandals that she picked out. (For a 17 month old, she certainly knows and expresses her opinions!) I took my son to the fabric store to let him pick out the fabric for his Easter shirt. He picked a fabric perfect for a three-year-old boy. It is a busy sky full of helicopters. Let’s just say I am quite confident no one else will have a shirt quite like his on Easter Sunday.

Ever since we got home with the fabric almost every day he asks me if I am going to sew. I finally finished his shirt this morning. While I was hoping to keep it new for Easter, when I tried it on him to check the fit, he did NOT want to take it off. I think if it was up to him, he would wear it from now until Easter straight! I truly believe that while we didn’t really save any money by making his shirt, he can feel the love sewn into every stitch. He is blessed to also have two Grandmas that sew and almost every time he wears anything they or I have made or is tucked in under a quilt one of us made, he reminds me who made it for him. I am certain that there’s a lot to be learned from that – too much to unpack in this post!

Have a great Resurrection Sunday celebrating Easter with those you love!

No comments: