Monday, August 04, 2008

The main thing

For our family, this summer has been one of really cutting back on commitments and focusing on what is really important to us. That has meant that we have let a lot of good things go in favor of focusing on what at least for now, we consider the most important things. While it was hard at first, the results have been so worth it.

The main "thing" above all else in my life is my relationship with Jesus. About a week or two into the summer, I was talking with hubby and realized that while I was still spending time reading my Bible and praying, it had become rather routine. I would read passages and be reminded of things that I knew, but there seemed to be a vibrancy missing. I told my hubby about this, and we both began praying about it. I began to put even more of a priority on setting aside time to read through Scripture, pray through the passage I was reading, and not just pray to God, but also listen for his still small voice. It wasn’t long until my heart came back in line with my head, and I felt my relationship with God strengthen. One of the things I have let go for a season is women’s leadership at my church. I love leading other women through Scripture and together discovering what God has to say to us through His Word; however for a season, I needed to let that go in order to re-examine my own heart. Now I am seriously considering returning to women’s leadership at church this fall. I am anxious to share with others what I am learning, but at the same time want to be careful not to do too much too fast.

The second main "thing" in my life now is my relationship with my hubby and supporting him in what he is doing. As you know, in January he started a new job as a commercial airline pilot. He is flying for a regional airline, and from everything people had told us, this was supposed to be a miserable season in his career. Maybe it’s because we’ve been through some rough seasons together before, but we are loving this new job! It is likely just for a season (2 – 3 years or so), but for now it’s great. Even though between his two jobs he is still working many hours, he is home every night. While the out of town trips will likely resume some this month or next, we have so enjoyed a couple months of just not going anywhere. Most weeks he even has 2 days off in a row – a wonderful thing that we haven’t experienced in years! We have been able to spend so much more time as a family both working and playing together. Hubby and Bug have regularly gone fishing. We have been to the pool. We have gotten out in the canoe several times. The landscaping that was out of control in our yard when we bought it 3 years ago is almost whipped into shape. The backyard is fenced in. The garage is cleaned out. The other day hubby & Bug even de-cluttered all the old backpacking gear, so that this fall we should be able to try some family camping! Also the same day he hung the infant/toddler swing that we bought a while back, but hadn't had the time to hang. Oh my goodness. I wish you could see the huge smiles on my children's faces as they took their turns in the swing. Bug has talked about it every day since then. It has been so wonderful to be able to get so much accomplished and to be able to have so much fun together.

The third main "thing" in my life is my relationship with my children. They both are growing up so fast. There are many entries I can and maybe one day will write about all that is going on with them. (After all one of the reasons I started this little blog was to record the daily joys and triumphs in parenting.) Lately I have forced myself to set small goals in my housework and tell the children what those goals are. When I reach a goal, I will set a timer for 5 – 15 minutes and tell the children that for the next however many minutes I will play with them before starting my next chore. They have thrived on this! Sometimes the toddler wants me to play with his train set with him. Sometimes it’s Play-dough, coloring, or cutting and pasting, and sometimes we snuggle and read a book. Whatever we do, I have started trying to set aside more intentional time throughout the day to do what my children want to do. I think the relationships have really been growing as a result. One of the great things about hubby’s new job, time off, and our getting more organized has been that he has been able to spend more time with the kids and I too. The other night when he got home from work, Bug had stayed awake until he arrived. When hubby went in to kiss him, Bug quickly told daddy exactly what was on his mind. "Daddy, I want to build a doghouse with you." The next day even though hubby worked during the day, after dinner when Bug asked again, they were able to go right outside and build a very-mini doghouse.

So while other commitments have been lessened lately, I have been learning the true joys of being more organized and efficient, balancing work and play, and simply staying at home more often. As we begin to add things back into our schedules, I hope that we can always keep the focus that we have found this summer and find joy in simplicity.

No comments: