Friday, May 30, 2008

Little firefighter

I don’t remember where exactly I got this idea. I read it somewhere. Today seemed the perfect day to try it out. It was so hot and my little munchkin had been a trooper all day, helping me with various chores. After his rest time, we went outside. At first I worked while he played nearby. Soon my work was done and the sun was beating down. I pulled out the swimming pool and together we filled it with water. He enjoyed that for a while. When baby sister woke up, I wanted to drain most of the water from the pool so she could play in it. Before doing so though, I took the sidewalk chalk, and drew some big flames across the driveway. I then asked my son if he would like to be a firefighter and put the fire out with the water. Earlier I had shown him how to put his finger or thumb across the hose end to make it spray. He eagerly accepted the challenge and in no time at all, the fire was out. Also the pool was drained and baby girl was playing happily in it. My little fireman then ran and got the chalk, and proceeded to spend at least the next half hour drawing flames and putting out fires. Our driveway has never been so clean, and we all got cooled off and refreshed. The rest of the evening, he kept saying that he was a firefighter; there had been a fire in the driveway, but he put it out by spraying it with water. Now, as long as I can remember, he has said that he was a pilot. The only variation on this has been a few days when he proclaimed that he was an astronaut. Tonight at dinner after his repeated declaration, "I a fireman, Mommy," I asked who was a pilot? He quickly replied, "Daddy a pilot." True. Then I asked who was an astronaut. He replied that his baby sister was an astronaut. I asked who was a fireman, and with a giant grin, he reminded me that he was the fireman who had put out the fire in our driveway.

A little chalk, a hose and a big imagination – who knew it could be such fun?

2 comments:

Grace said...

So adorable! What a great idea :)

Grace said...

New blog please! :D