Sunday, May 18, 2008

Is Prayer Important?

I am so thankful that I had parents who regularly set before me an example of prayer. I remember time after time growing up and still today when I have "caught" my parents praying. My mom just sent me an e-mail telling me that she is praying for me today as I share this with you and for you as you listen. This is my heritage, and I have always known that prayer is important. Shortly after the birth of my son, I was thinking about the legacy I wanted to leave to him. This led to taking my concordance and doing word searches on prayer, supplication, and intercession. This series of articles has grown out of those searches.

Today we will focus on the question: Is it important to pray? If so, why?

The answer of course is yes! I found the following reasons for why.

God commands it and tells us it is his will.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Colossians 4:2 Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.

See also Matthew 7:7 – 11, Colossians 4:2, James 5:13, 1 Timothy 2:1, Ephesians 6:18

Prayer brings peace.

Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.

These Scriptures promise that prayer brings peace, and I have personally seen it to be true time and time again. During particularly stressful times, I have quoted these verses over and over until I had enough peace to pray about the situation. Then as I prayed, God gave even more peace. Prayer has also brought peace to my marriage. When we first married, my husband started a habit that each night before falling asleep, he and I pray together. This is normally a short prayer thanking God for the day just past. I have found though that the few times there is tension in our marriage, I don’t want to pray with him. That makes it clear that as Ephesians 4:26 warns, "Do not let the sun go down on your anger" there is something that we need to work though before bed. Normally we do, then we pray before falling asleep, which in turn adds peace.

Prayer pleases God.

Proverbs 15:8 The Lord detests the sacrifice of the wicked, but the prayer of the upright pleases him.

God hears and will answer.

Proverbs 15:29 The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous.

Matthew 21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.

See also Mark 11:24 and Philippians 1:19

There are many Biblical examples of prayer for us to follow including Jesus.

Luke 22:45 And when he [Jesus] rose from prayer, he came to the disciples . . .

See also John 17:20, Hebrews 5:7, Acts 1:14, Acts 2:42, Ephesians 1:6

Our prayers are incense in the worship of heaven.

Revelation 5:8 And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of saints.

Tomorrow we will look at: What should prayer look like?

No comments: