Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Freecycle Fabric Find

Today I got what I hope will turn out to be a great Freecycle find. If you are not familiar with it, Freecycle is a group of people in a local area who help the environment and each other by giving away their clutter. People post offers for things that they no longer want. Other people respond and pick the things up. We have given away several things this way that probably otherwise would have ended up in a landfill. For example, tomorrow we have someone coming to get our toddler’s old changing table/dresser. Two of the drawer pulls are broken and one of the drawers easily falls when pulled out. For us this was a hazard, but the lady who is picking it up has a handy father who can fix it. She is pregnant, but doesn’t have the money right now for new furniture. This will get her by well until she can get something better. Another time we upgraded the inside of our closet for something more sturdy. We didn’t know what to do with our old 9 foot long closet rod and shelf. A family picked it up who was able to cut it in half and use it to put two shelves & hanging rods in their son’s closet. We were happy to get rid of it and give it to someone who could use it. Their son was happy to have a place to hang his clothes. That’s how Freecycle works. It’s really a win-win situation.

Today a lady was going through trying to clean out a lifetime’s accumulation in her grandma’s attic. She knew that her grandma had been a seamstress, so there was a lot of fabric mixed in with a lot of clutter. I spent a half hour or so sorting through the clutter and took two boxes of fabric and a pie-dish home. The lady doing the cleaning had no use for the items and was just happy to have someone sort through and find something useful. Plus as she said, the stairs were steep, and that was 2 boxes she didn’t have to haul off to the dump. So now I have a washer & dryer full of fabric pre-washing. I wish one of my moms or Story-Girl lived nearby enough to come help me figure out what to make out of all of it! Hopefully I’ll come up with some good projects. (Now figuring out how to DO them with two little ones around may be another story!) If I make the fabric up, I’ll try to remember to post some photos here.

So what would you do with 1 ½ yards of 60" blue wool?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Post pictures!! If you can post pics of some of the fabric that is most interesting to you, I can definitely give you some ideas! Oh how I wish we were neighbors. Off the top of my head - circle skirts (twirly little things for the gals!), a quilt, baby doll clothes (does little gal have a 12-14 inch doll? You can find patterns for them, in multiple sizes), tote bags (perfect for gift giving and super easy!). Luggage tags, oh I found a great tutuorial for that....how I wish we were neighbors!!!!! for the blue wool....depends what it looks like, jacket or suit material? suit coat for the little man? Skirt for you?

Anonymous said...

oh, and anonymous was Story Girl, there sorry!

Anonymous said...

Story Girl again - I'm on a roll, potholders, coasters, aprons, dishtowels (good cotton or linen), crayon rolls, art smocks, drawstring bags, drawstring backpacks, re-usable shopping bags, smaller pieces can be cut into shapes for appliques on ready-to-wear clothing. Got your wheels turning yet?

Anonymous said...

Here's a great freebie pattern for an organizer apron with 4 pockets.

http://organizedhome.com/how-to-sew-cleaning-apron

And althought the patterns cost check out what one lady did with one old blanket!
http://turkeyfeathers.typepad.com/turkey_feathers/wool_blanket_project/index.html

Grace said...

What would I do with it? Probably make a cloak or a medieval dress ;)