Friday, June 15, 2007

The zoo

The other day Bugster, my mom, and I got together with a friend of mine from high school, her kids, and her sister and went to the zoo. Bug-a-Boo had been to a zoo once before in his life, but he was not old enough to really see or enjoy any of it. This time was totally different. He loved watching and imitating many of the animals. We had such a fun time. It amazed me that at almost every exhibit the animals were right up front. In fact while at the time I was quite comfortable with the two large fences and the distance between us and the lion, when I look back at photos and see his furry mane poking through one fence it appears almost close enough for my son to reach out and touch. It wasn’t, but it looks that way - he was that close!

A couple of my friends with similar aged kids said that around 2 years old is a wonderful time to take a child to an aquarium. While my focus was more on seeing the petting zoo, the lions, and the monkeys, I made sure we saw the aquarium based on their recommendations. The zoo we visited had a wonderful, very child-friendly aquarium where one of the tanks was about the size of a small house. Tropical fish, eels, and sharks swam among the coral. Bug-a-Boo was fascinated as were the older kids! We could have easily spent another hour just in this exhibit. He talked quite a bit about the “wish” (fish) and in the car just before falling asleep even made fish lips without any prompting. Thankfully the camera was rolling and I got it on video! What a great fun day and good memory!

No comments: