Friday, June 29, 2007
My little helper
Yesterday my toddler had another small first. Since he’s close to two years old, it’s easy to miss the firsts since they are no longer so obvious as sitting up, walking, etc. Anyway, some people in our church have really been helping us out lately in several ways, so I wanted to do something special to say thank you to those who have especially gone out of their way. The other week I picked up some mini-loaf pans, and yesterday I set to work to make banana bread. My son ran back to his bedroom when I told him I was going to grind some flour. (He hates the loud noise.) When I was finished, he peeked back out, then eagerly came over and climbed up onto his stool for a closer look at just what I was doing. I got out the bananas and a big bowl, and he actually peeled about half of them for me, putting the bananas in a bowl and the peels in a pile! Then it was time to mash them and he totally got into helping me there. We traded mashing with a fork and with the potato masher. I had to laugh when banana got stuck in my masher, and I (thankfully) carefully knocked it on the side of the bowl to remove the excess. Sure enough, he began to do the same thing with his fork, and again once he got the masher back. I really need to be careful as he is definitely at the “little mirror” stage! Once we finished the bananas, he scampered back off to play. I am so glad that I can now tell the people we give the loaves to as thank-yous that my toddler and I made them together. While this stage has its challenges, I am so glad for the little times that my son shows he is developing independence, a work ethic, and a servant’s attitude.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment