Friday, June 15, 2007

Sisters

The other day Bug-a-Boo and I were able to visit my younger sister while she was at work. She works at a library, so of course Bugster was thrilled. She took us into the backroom where her desk is and where they hold special meetings and my son quickly found the stash of markers and paper and set to work on a new masterpiece. This freed me up to talk with my sister which was great. A couple days later we were able to visit her and see her beautiful apartment. I really think the majority of the decorating genes in our family must have been reserved for her. Until we had our house, I gave much more thought to functionality and practicality than decorating. Somehow my baby sister (who is not at all a baby anymore) is able to combine both the practical and the beautiful in a way that pulls things together so naturally. I was also able to meet her fiancé. He quickly got my son laughing and playing and kept him entertained and out of trouble the whole time we visited - quite a feat when you have a curious toddler among many beautiful, fragile things!

Then yesterday Bug-a-Boo, my mom, and I went to visit my sister, her husband, and three sons. (Mom went along partly because she wanted to see my sis & her family, but also partly because someone hit my parked car and took off my driver’s side mirror. I’m not comfortable driving it until we can get it fixed. Thankfully the person who hit me had good enough insurance to cover it, so as soon as the proper part comes in, I can get it fixed. In the meantime, I am trying to drive as little as possible and not go over 35 miles per hour since the old mirror is dangling by a chord.) That was a long parentheses, but now back to my story. We had a great visit with my sister and her husband and the cousins all played so well together. It was the day after our zoo visit, so Bugster’s normal schedule was way out of whack, and I was afraid it might not go well, but they all did great together. My sister’s oldest son watched Bugster when I wasn’t available, and the two younger ones played with him. My sister’s youngest who is a little over a year older than my son showed him how to ride a bike. Bug-a-Boo watched intently and said, “Bike-o! Bike-o!” (Bicycle) He then tried and while he didn’t get it yet and actually toppled over, I can see that he will be right where my nephew is in no time. Sigh. When we went to leave, my sister’s youngest son said to my son “Bye-bye. I’m going to miss you playing in the sandbox with me.” Too sweet!

While we don’t see each other that often, I am so glad for the times I am able to get together with my sisters and my nephews. These visits were no exception to that, and I am so grateful for them.

No comments: