Sunday, January 14, 2007

Yeah for the weekend!

Today begins the first weekend in a month that we have had around the house, and it’s a three day one. Yeah! It is raining outside, so other than hubby taking the dog for a run, we stayed home and inside. It has been such a great day. We spent the majority of the day plugging away on my resolution to get organized. Hubby worked on the downstairs guestroom/his study while I worked on the upstairs spare bedroom/junk room. Right now you might not see that much progress, because most of the floor space is covered, but we’re organizing. Organization Junky says that the first step to organizing an area is to empty it out. The second step is to go through and purge things. That’s pretty much where we’re at today. It’s such a good feeling knowing that we are working on making these rooms more workable for us.

Organization was followed by dinner. While it was in the oven, hubby and I chose to reward our hard work with some relaxing music. He played his electric guitar, while I pulled out and dusted off my flute. I realized that Bug-a-Boo who is now 18 months old had never heard me play it! Yikes! My embouchure has sadly weakened with time and the air requisite to play some of the notes that were hardly high left me almost out of breath, but I was playing again, and it felt so good. I have been trying to teach myself keyboard, and Bug-a-Boo has heard that. (He has to – I made a deal with my dad. He would buy me a keyboard if I would learn to play it. He got me the keyboard, and I have been learning at about 1/10 the pace of our original deal, but I every now and then I still work on it – more often that flute at least.) Whereas with the keyboard, I am still trying to train my fingers to automatically hit the keys when they see the notes, when I pick up the flute, my fingers know where they are supposed to go. When I see a note, I don’t have to think about the fingering. My fingers just form it. That was a nice relaxing change. It was also funny to see Bug-a-Boo pick up and attempt to play my flute. When he couldn’t get a note out by imitating me, he attempted to play it like a clarinet. That didn’t work either, so he picked up a toy and, with a big grin, made music on it instead.

After the baby was in bed, hubby and I played a round of Blokus, the first that’s ended in a tie. Blokus is a game that Katrina at Callipider Days recommended, and I found at Goodwill for $2. It’s perfect for the evenings, because our version (the travel one) is just for two players and a game only lasts 20 – 30 minutes. It’s been quick & easy to fit in a fun round of it. Now it’s off to watch an episode of the Waltons before retiring to read. Praise the Lord for rainy, refreshing weekends!

No comments: