Tuesday, September 15, 2009
How to spot an American
The other day when we visited a castle, the guy manning the gift shop and entry for the castle immediately identified us as Americans, even before we started talking. Several times this has happened. This time I asked him, "How did you know we were Americans? We didn’t think we were that obvious." We hadn’t yet spoken. We didn’t have our camera out. We don’t think we look that different. Then man laughed and answered, "It’s your shoes." Our shoes?! Yes. He said Americans always wear comfortable walking shoes and that is the biggest giveaway. Other clues are bright colorful clothing and if shorts or sleeveless shirts are worn, women with cleanly shaven legs or armpits. I found that quite interesting. He also said Americans generally have rounder faces and bigger noses. He asked how we recognize a German. I said we didn’t see such major differences!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment