Sunday, February 14, 2010

B90 - Halfway!

I have now made it overhalfway through the Bible. I am on track to finish before Easter. As mentioned in a previous post, I am participating in the Bible in 90 Days challenge hosted by Mom's Toolbox. I found out about the challenge just a couple days before the new year, and knew it was just what I needed to get 2010 off to a right start. Sure enough, it has.

When I first began, I was concerned that if I read such large portions of Scripture every day, I would not get as much out of it and not be able to really meditate on what I was reading. I have been pleasantly surprised to find that is not the case. I bought a new Bible specifically for this challenge, so I feel free to mark in it. When I come to verses that stand out, I highlight them with a yellow crayon. (Crayon doesn't bleed through as much.) When a verse brings up further questions, I highlight it with red and write the question in the margin. When I find passages that I would like to use as prayer prompts, I highlight them with blue crayon. When I can't find my crayons, I underline and note with pencil. Every now and then I still take time to look things up. For example, today I read Proverbs 6 and looked up the exact definition of "haughty." I have found that instead of not being able to meditate on Scripture as much, I have so much more on which to think. Throughout the day, applicable Scriptures I recently read come quickly to my mind.

The other day my husband commented to me that while I have had to set aside a larger portion of time for my daily Bible reading, he has noticed that I seem to be much more intentional in all my time usage. Not only am I getting my Bible reading in, but somehow the chores are all being done more consistantly, I am spending time regularly reading to and teaching my children, and find myself overall more relaxed. Hubby commented that both the kids and I seem to have more peace and joy since the start of this. These were my hopes and prayers, but still it is exciting to see them happening! All praise to God whose Word accomplishes its purpose!

I would encourage anyone to try out this endevour for yourself! I find that it is easier to stick with this challenge for 90 days than it would be for a year. I also find that the challenge of it makes it somehow more doable. I know that it's easier to keep up than to catch up, so that motivates me to stay on track! Knowing that every Monday, I have to check-in and say where I'm at keeps me accountable. I have been so greatly blessed by this challenge and hope that many others can be as well. If you are interested, you can check the B90 website to find a participating community near you to join.

1 comment:

Holly said...

What wonderful messages from your husband! And I am stealing your crayon idea. Glad you are enjoying the reading. God bless - Holly